A Pickup Truck With A Diet For Raptors1
The General invited AutoPacific to get a sneak peek at a new pickup truck concept that will be shown at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show. We’re going to spoil the surprise and fill you in with all of the details so keep reading…
In the never ending battle for the biggest and baddest pickup truck, GMC has served up a concept pickup that looks suspiciously like a production model. The GMC Sierra HD All Terrain (what a mouthful!) ups the ante by offering a diesel and a one ton HD as the starting point and then adds the following goodies:
• Wider, 73-inch (1,853 mm) track for greater stability
• Approximately 3 inches (76 mm) greater ground clearance
• Custom front upper and lower control arms
• Specially constructed Fox off-road shocks with remote fluid reservoirs (integrated in the wheel house liners)
• Front and rear jounce shocks
• Electronic front stabilizer bar disconnection
• 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich KM2 “mud terrain” tires mounted on 20-inch machined aluminum wheels
• Full composite underbody protection
Gigantic fenders flare out from the body to cover the 35-inch BFGoodrich tires and have LED marker lights at the corners. The cargo box has a lockable and lighted storage compartments (think Dodge Ram), a 110v outlet, and a small air compressor.
The look is menacing and intimidating. This is a beast of a vehicle which makes no compromises in regards to off-road ability. The “All Terrain” means you can drive it on the pavement and when you’re ready to depart the tarmac you can disconnect the front stabilizer bar from the comfort of your leather seat. The Duramax Diesel and Allison transmission move this monster over anything you can put in front of it.
So why is this vehicle so important? The exterior is hinting at the next design for the Sierra which keeps the “traditional” truck look with a tougher and more “professional grade” stance. No word from GM if this will make it to a dealer near you soon but if a Raptor isn’t enough truck for you you’ll just have to sit back and wait for GM to unleash this beast.