Ford Crew Chief Telematics System
- June 16, 2014
- Ford, New Model Introductions, Technology & New Features
- Posted by George Peterson
- Comments Off on Ford Crew Chief Telematics System
Telematics System for Vehicle Tracking and Management Ford is offering the Crew Chief telematics system on its fleet vehicles. Developed by Telogis, Crew Chief is a GPS-based system designed to monitor vehicle activity and improve efficiency. The Ford Crew Chief system is available on the F-150, F-Series Super Duty, E-Series, Transit and Transit Connect.
Black Box GPSThe Ford Crew Chief system includes a GPS receiver, or black box, mounted out of the way in the instrument panel. The GPS tracks the vehicle real-time and converts the data received from the vehicle into a visual dashboard that provides an at-a-glance summary of a commercial fleet’s performance and a gps asset tracking could be beneficial for business. Knowing how a vehicle is being driven can help fleet management “counsel” drivers on how to improve their driving style and achieve better efficiency. When driving and vehicle operation improves, insurance rates can drop.
The Ford Crew Chief system measures a wide array of vehicle attributes. Measuring these attributes can help fleet management anticipate problems and correct them before a serious mechanical failure might occur.
Some of the attributes measured by Crew Chief include:
• Oil Life (% remaining)
• Tire Pressure
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes
• Engine Coolant Temperatures
• Water in Fuel of a Diesel-Powered Vehicle
• Excessive RPM
• Safety Belt Usage
• Air Bag Status
• Battery Charge
• Excessive Idling
• Hard Acceleration/Driving
• Driver Insurance Expiration Date
• Driver License Expiration Date
Clearly, the fleet can save a lot of money by reducing the time a vehicle is idling or whether or not the driver is abusing the vehicle by revving the engine unnecesarily, accelerating hard and driving hard.
Can Be Very Big Brother It might sound like Big Brother, but knowing what the driver is doing and where the vehicle is and has been can be a real advantage in managing a fleet. Here are some of the features Crew Chief can include:
• Find the Closest Capable Driver
• Develop Custom Map Overlays
• Add a Fuel Efficiency Module
• Satellite Imagery (helps identify landmarks in mapped locations)
• Provide Real-Time Alerts
• Provide Turn-by-Turn Directions
• Fast Mapping
• Automated Reports
• Animated Vehicle History Trails
• Maintenance Reporting
• Fleet, Driver and Team Management
• Search (finds any vehicle, driver, location or tagged group, improving asset utilization and making fleet management more efficient)
• Speeding Alerts (flags when drivers are over the speed limit. Can help reduce insurance costs)
Of course, Ford Crew Chief is not free. There is a monthly fee for each vehicle of $31.99 for the standard package and $39.99 for the professional package.